Average Weather in December in Lawson Missouri, United States
Daily high temperatures decrease by 8°F, from 46°F to 38°F, rarely falling below 21°F or exceeding 60°F.
Daily low temperatures decrease by 7°F, from 28°F to 21°F, rarely falling below 4°F or exceeding 41°F.
For reference, on July 20, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Lawson typically range from 67°F to 87°F, while on January 22, the coldest day of the year, they range from 21°F to 39°F.
Average High and Low Temperature in December
The figure below shows you a compact characterization of the hourly average temperatures for the quarter of the year centered on December. The horizontal axis is the day, the vertical axis is the hour of the day, and the color is the average temperature for that hour and day.
Average Hourly Temperature in December
The month of December in Lawson experiences essentially constant cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy remaining about 49% throughout the month. The highest chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 51% on December 28.
The clearest day of the month is December 1, with clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy conditions 52% of the time.
For reference, on February 12, the cloudiest day of the year, the chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 52%, while on August 26, the clearest day of the year, the chance of clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy skies is 71%.
Cloud Cover Categories in December
A wet day is one with at least 0.04 inches of liquid or liquid-equivalent precipitation. In Lawson, the chance of a wet day over the course of December is gradually decreasing, starting the month at 16% and ending it at 12%.
For reference, the year's highest daily chance of a wet day is 44% on June 8, and its lowest chance is 10% on January 12.
Over the course of December in Lawson, the chance of a day with only rain decreases from 11% to 5%, the chance of a day with mixed snow and rain remains an essentially constant 4% throughout, and the chance of a day with only snow increases from 2% to 4%.
Probability of Precipitation in December
The average sliding 31-day rainfall during December in Lawson is decreasing, starting the month at 1.5 inches, when it rarely exceeds 3.3 inches or falls below 0.1 inches, and ending the month at 0.7 inches, when it rarely exceeds 1.6 inches.
Average Monthly Rainfall in December
We report snowfall in liquid-equivalent terms. The actual depth of new snowfall is typically between 5 and 10 times the liquid-equivalent amount, assuming the ground is frozen. As with rainfall, we consider the liquid-equivalent snowfall accumulated over a sliding 31-day period centered around each day.
The average sliding 31-day liquid-equivalent snowfall during December in Lawson is essentially constant, remaining about 0.3 inches throughout, and rarely exceeding 1.0 inches or falling below -0.0 inches.
Average Monthly Liquid-Equivalent Snowfall in December
Over the course of December in Lawson, the length of the day is essentially constant. The shortest day of the month is December 21, with 9 hours, 23 minutes of daylight and the longest day is December 1, with 9 hours, 36 minutes of daylight.
Hours of Daylight and Twilight in December
The earliest sunrise of the month in Lawson is 7:17 AM on December 1 and the latest sunrise is 19 minutes later at 7:36 AM on December 31.
The earliest sunset is 4:53 PM on December 7 and the latest sunset is 10 minutes later at 5:03 PM on December 31.
Daylight saving time is observed in Lawson during 2018, but it neither starts nor ends during December, so the entire month is in standard time.
For reference, on June 21, the longest day of the year, the Sun rises at 5:49 AM and sets 14 hours, 57 minutes later, at 8:47 PM, while on December 21, the shortest day of the year, it rises at 7:33 AM and sets 9 hours, 23 minutes later, at 4:56 PM.
Sunrise & Sunset with Twilight and Daylight Saving Time in December
The chance that a given day will be muggy in Lawson is essentially constant during December, remaining around 0% throughout.
The lowest chance of a muggy day during December is 0% on December 17.
For reference, on July 23, the muggiest day of the year, there are muggy conditions 68% of the time, while on December 2, the least muggy day of the year, there are muggy conditions 0% of the time.
Humidity Comfort Levels in December
The average hourly wind speed in Lawson is essentially constant during December, remaining within 0.2 miles per hour of 10.8 miles per hour throughout.
For reference, on April 1, the windiest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 12.5 miles per hour, while on August 7, the calmest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 7.8 miles per hour.
The lowest daily average wind speed during December is 10.6 miles per hour on December 17.
Average Wind Speed in December
Wind Direction in December
The growing season in Lawson typically lasts for 6.0 months (182 days), from around April 14 to around October 13, rarely starting before March 26 or after May 4, and rarely ending before September 23 or after November 2.
The month of December in Lawson is reliably fully outside of the growing season.
Time Spent in Various Temperature Bands and the Growing Season in December
The average accumulated growing degree days in Lawson are essentially constant during December, remaining within 5°F of 3,739°F throughout.
Growing Degree Days in December
The average daily incident shortwave solar energy in Lawson is essentially constant during December, remaining within 0.1 kWh of 2.1 kWh throughout.
The lowest average daily incident shortwave solar energy during December is 2.0 kWh on December 21.
Average Daily Incident Shortwave Solar Energy in December
For the purposes of this report, the geographical coordinates of Lawson are 39.438 deg latitude, -94.204 deg longitude, and 1,033 ft elevation.
The topography within 2 miles of Lawson contains only modest variations in elevation, with a maximum elevation change of 141 feet and an average elevation above sea level of 1,040 feet. Within 10 miles also contains only modest variations in elevation (367 feet). Within 50 miles contains only modest variations in elevation (561 feet).
The area within 2 miles of Lawson is covered by cropland (97%), within 10 miles by cropland (77%) and trees (21%), and within 50 miles by cropland (78%) and trees (12%).
This report illustrates the typical weather in Lawson year round, based on a statistical analysis of historical hourly weather reports and model reconstructions from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 2016.
Temperature and Dew Point
There are 3 weather stations near enough to contribute to our estimation of the temperature and dew point in Lawson.
For each station, the records are corrected for the elevation difference between that station and Lawson according to the International Standard Atmosphere , and by the relative change present in the MERRA-2 satellite-era reanalysis between the two locations.
The estimated value at Lawson is computed as the weighted average of the individual contributions from each station, with weights proportional to the inverse of the distance between Lawson and a given station.
The stations contributing to this reconstruction are: Midwest National Air Center (81%, 15 kilometers, southwest); Chillicothe, Chillicothe Agri-Science Center (10%, 69 kilometers, northeast); and Rosecrans Memorial Airport (9%, 72 kilometers, northwest).
Time zones for aiports and weather stations are provided by AskGeo.com .