Average Weather in December in Sudden Valley Washington, United States
Daily high temperatures decrease by 2°F, from 44°F to 41°F, rarely falling below 31°F or exceeding 51°F. The lowest daily average high temperature is 41°F on December 28.
Daily low temperatures decrease by 2°F, from 34°F to 32°F, rarely falling below 20°F or exceeding 43°F.
For reference, on August 2, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Sudden Valley typically range from 54°F to 73°F, while on January 1, the coldest day of the year, they range from 32°F to 41°F.
Average High and Low Temperature in December
The figure below shows you a compact characterization of the hourly average temperatures for the quarter of the year centered on December. The horizontal axis is the day, the vertical axis is the hour of the day, and the color is the average temperature for that hour and day.
Average Hourly Temperature in December
The month of December in Sudden Valley experiences essentially constant cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy remaining about 73% throughout the month. The highest chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 73% on December 11.
The clearest day of the month is December 31, with clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy conditions 28% of the time.
For reference, on December 11, the cloudiest day of the year, the chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 73%, while on August 3, the clearest day of the year, the chance of clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy skies is 72%.
Cloud Cover Categories in December
0% clear 20% mostly clear 40% partly cloudy 60% mostly cloudy 80% overcast 100%
A wet day is one with at least 0.04 inches of liquid or liquid-equivalent precipitation. In Sudden Valley, the chance of a wet day over the course of December is rapidly decreasing, starting the month at 57% and ending it at 51%.
For reference, the year's highest daily chance of a wet day is 61% on November 18, and its lowest chance is 9% on August 5.
Over the course of December in Sudden Valley, the chance of a day with only rain decreases from 53% to 44%, the chance of a day with mixed snow and rain remains an essentially constant 3% throughout, and the chance of a day with only snow remains an essentially constant 2% throughout.
Probability of Precipitation in December
The average sliding 31-day rainfall during December in Sudden Valley is rapidly decreasing, starting the month at 7.6 inches, when it rarely exceeds 11.7 inches or falls below 3.6 inches, and ending the month at 6.2 inches, when it rarely exceeds 9.2 inches or falls below 3.3 inches.
Average Monthly Rainfall in December
We report snowfall in liquid-equivalent terms. The actual depth of new snowfall is typically between 5 and 10 times the liquid-equivalent amount, assuming the ground is frozen. As with rainfall, we consider the liquid-equivalent snowfall accumulated over a sliding 31-day period centered around each day.
The average sliding 31-day liquid-equivalent snowfall during December in Sudden Valley is essentially constant, remaining about 0.3 inches throughout, and rarely exceeding 1.1 inches or falling below -0.0 inches.
The highest average 31-day liquid-equivalent accumulation is 0.4 inches on December 31.
Average Monthly Liquid-Equivalent Snowfall in December
Over the course of December in Sudden Valley, the length of the day is essentially constant. The shortest day of the month is December 21, with 8 hours, 16 minutes of daylight and the longest day is December 1, with 8 hours, 34 minutes of daylight.
Hours of Daylight and Twilight in December
The earliest sunrise of the month in Sudden Valley is 7:41 AM on December 1 and the latest sunrise is 21 minutes later at 8:02 AM on December 31.
The earliest sunset is 4:13 PM on December 11 and the latest sunset is 10 minutes later at 4:22 PM on December 31.
Daylight saving time is observed in Sudden Valley during 2018, but it neither starts nor ends during December, so the entire month is in standard time.
For reference, on June 21, the longest day of the year, the Sun rises at 5:06 AM and sets 16 hours, 10 minutes later, at 9:16 PM, while on December 21, the shortest day of the year, it rises at 7:59 AM and sets 8 hours, 16 minutes later, at 4:15 PM.
Sunrise & Sunset with Twilight and Daylight Saving Time in December
The chance that a given day will be muggy in Sudden Valley is essentially constant during December, remaining around 0% throughout.
For reference, on August 4, the muggiest day of the year, there are muggy conditions 0% of the time, while on September 14, the least muggy day of the year, there are muggy conditions 0% of the time.
Humidity Comfort Levels in December
dry 55°F comfortable 60°F humid 65°F muggy 70°F oppressive 75°F miserable
The average hourly wind speed in Sudden Valley is essentially constant during December, remaining within 0.1 miles per hour of 5.6 miles per hour throughout.
For reference, on December 4, the windiest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 5.6 miles per hour, while on August 6, the calmest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 2.7 miles per hour.
The highest daily average wind speed during December is 5.6 miles per hour on December 4.
Average Wind Speed in December
Wind Direction in December
Sudden Valley is located near a large body of water (e.g., ocean, sea, or large lake). This section reports on the wide-area average surface temperature of that water.
The average surface water temperature in Sudden Valley is essentially constant during December, remaining within 1°F of 47°F throughout.
Average Water Temperature in December
The growing season in Sudden Valley typically lasts for 6.4 months (195 days), from around April 14 to around October 26, rarely starting before March 23 or after May 6, and rarely ending before October 6 or after November 14.
The month of December in Sudden Valley is reliably fully outside of the growing season.
Time Spent in Various Temperature Bands and the Growing Season in December
The average accumulated growing degree days in Sudden Valley are essentially constant during December, remaining within 1°F of 1,369°F throughout.
Growing Degree Days in December
The average daily incident shortwave solar energy in Sudden Valley is essentially constant during December, remaining around 0.9 kWh throughout.
The lowest average daily incident shortwave solar energy during December is 0.8 kWh on December 25.
Average Daily Incident Shortwave Solar Energy in December
For the purposes of this report, the geographical coordinates of Sudden Valley are 48.723 deg latitude, -122.347 deg longitude, and 745 ft elevation.
The topography within 2 miles of Sudden Valley contains very significant variations in elevation, with a maximum elevation change of 1,765 feet and an average elevation above sea level of 647 feet. Within 10 miles contains very significant variations in elevation (3,343 feet). Within 50 miles also contains extreme variations in elevation (10,771 feet).
The area within 2 miles of Sudden Valley is covered by trees (65%) and water (27%), within 10 miles by trees (54%) and shrubs (14%), and within 50 miles by trees (43%) and water (27%).
This report illustrates the typical weather in Sudden Valley year round, based on a statistical analysis of historical hourly weather reports and model reconstructions from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 2016.
Temperature and Dew Point
There are 2 weather stations near enough to contribute to our estimation of the temperature and dew point in Sudden Valley.
For each station, the records are corrected for the elevation difference between that station and Sudden Valley according to the International Standard Atmosphere , and by the relative change present in the MERRA-2 satellite-era reanalysis between the two locations.
The estimated value at Sudden Valley is computed as the weighted average of the individual contributions from each station, with weights proportional to the inverse of the distance between Sudden Valley and a given station.
Time zones for aiports and weather stations are provided by AskGeo.com .