Average Weather in December in Greenland Arkansas, United States
Daily high temperatures decrease by 7°F, from 53°F to 47°F, rarely falling below 31°F or exceeding 66°F.
Daily low temperatures decrease by 6°F, from 34°F to 28°F, rarely falling below 12°F or exceeding 49°F.
For reference, on July 26, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Greenland typically range from 68°F to 89°F, while on January 6, the coldest day of the year, they range from 27°F to 46°F.
Average High and Low Temperature in December
The figure below shows you a compact characterization of the hourly average temperatures for the quarter of the year centered on December. The horizontal axis is the day, the vertical axis is the hour of the day, and the color is the average temperature for that hour and day.
Average Hourly Temperature in December
Gevgelija, Macedonia (5,776 miles away); Marneuli, Georgia (6,496 miles); and Darzāb, Afghanistan (7,301 miles) are the far-away foreign places with temperatures most similar to Greenland (view comparison).
The month of December in Greenland experiences essentially constant cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy remaining about 49% throughout the month. The highest chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 51% on December 23.
The clearest day of the month is December 3, with clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy conditions 53% of the time.
For reference, on February 12, the cloudiest day of the year, the chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 51%, while on July 24, the clearest day of the year, the chance of clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy skies is 70%.
Cloud Cover Categories in December
A wet day is one with at least 0.04 inches of liquid or liquid-equivalent precipitation. In Greenland, the chance of a wet day over the course of December is decreasing, starting the month at 22% and ending it at 18%.
For reference, the year's highest daily chance of a wet day is 43% on May 27, and its lowest chance is 16% on January 12.
Over the course of December in Greenland, the chance of a day with only rain decreases from 19% to 13%, the chance of a day with mixed snow and rain remains an essentially constant 2% throughout, and the chance of a day with only snow remains an essentially constant 1% throughout.
Probability of Precipitation in December
The average sliding 31-day rainfall during December in Greenland is decreasing, starting the month at 3.2 inches, when it rarely exceeds 6.4 inches or falls below 0.7 inches, and ending the month at 2.3 inches, when it rarely exceeds 6.0 inches or falls below 0.3 inches.
Average Monthly Rainfall in December
We report snowfall in liquid-equivalent terms. The actual depth of new snowfall is typically between 5 and 10 times the liquid-equivalent amount, assuming the ground is frozen. As with rainfall, we consider the liquid-equivalent snowfall accumulated over a sliding 31-day period centered around each day.
The average sliding 31-day liquid-equivalent snowfall during December in Greenland is essentially constant, remaining about 0.1 inches throughout, and rarely exceeding 0.6 inches or falling to 0.0 inches.
Average Monthly Liquid-Equivalent Snowfall in December
Over the course of December in Greenland, the length of the day is essentially constant. The shortest day of the month is December 21, with 9 hours, 43 minutes of daylight and the longest day is December 1, with 9 hours, 54 minutes of daylight.
Hours of Daylight and Twilight in December
The earliest sunrise of the month in Greenland is 7:08 AM on December 1 and the latest sunrise is 18 minutes later at 7:27 AM on December 31.
The earliest sunset is 5:02 PM on December 5 and the latest sunset is 10 minutes later at 5:12 PM on December 31.
Daylight saving time is observed in Greenland during 2018, but it neither starts nor ends during December, so the entire month is in standard time.
For reference, on June 21, the longest day of the year, the Sun rises at 6:00 AM and sets 14 hours, 36 minutes later, at 8:36 PM, while on December 21, the shortest day of the year, it rises at 7:23 AM and sets 9 hours, 43 minutes later, at 5:06 PM.
Sunrise & Sunset with Twilight and Daylight Saving Time in December
The chance that a given day will be muggy in Greenland is essentially constant during December, remaining around 0% throughout.
For reference, on July 22, the muggiest day of the year, there are muggy conditions 76% of the time, while on January 11, the least muggy day of the year, there are muggy conditions 0% of the time.
Humidity Comfort Levels in December
The average hourly wind speed in Greenland is essentially constant during December, remaining within 0.1 miles per hour of 6.0 miles per hour throughout.
For reference, on March 10, the windiest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 6.8 miles per hour, while on August 3, the calmest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 3.9 miles per hour.
Average Wind Speed in December
Wind Direction in December
The growing season in Greenland typically lasts for 6.4 months (197 days), from around April 11 to around October 25, rarely starting before March 23 or after April 29, and rarely ending before October 7 or after November 13.
The month of December in Greenland is reliably fully outside of the growing season.
Time Spent in Various Temperature Bands and the Growing Season in December
The average accumulated growing degree days in Greenland are gradually increasing during December, increasing by 43°F, from 4,320°F to 4,363°F, over the course of the month.
Growing Degree Days in December
The average daily incident shortwave solar energy in Greenland is essentially constant during December, remaining within 0.1 kWh of 2.5 kWh throughout.
The lowest average daily incident shortwave solar energy during December is 2.4 kWh on December 23.
Average Daily Incident Shortwave Solar Energy in December
For the purposes of this report, the geographical coordinates of Greenland are 35.994 deg latitude, -94.175 deg longitude, and 1,391 ft elevation.
The topography within 2 miles of Greenland contains only modest variations in elevation, with a maximum elevation change of 482 feet and an average elevation above sea level of 1,363 feet. Within 10 miles contains only modest variations in elevation (1,168 feet). Within 50 miles contains very significant variations in elevation (2,238 feet).
The area within 2 miles of Greenland is covered by cropland (57%) and trees (37%), within 10 miles by trees (46%) and cropland (44%), and within 50 miles by trees (59%) and cropland (36%).
This report illustrates the typical weather in Greenland year round, based on a statistical analysis of historical hourly weather reports and model reconstructions from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 2016.
Temperature and Dew Point
There are 4 weather stations near enough to contribute to our estimation of the temperature and dew point in Greenland.
For each station, the records are corrected for the elevation difference between that station and Greenland according to the International Standard Atmosphere , and by the relative change present in the MERRA-2 satellite-era reanalysis between the two locations.
The estimated value at Greenland is computed as the weighted average of the individual contributions from each station, with weights proportional to the inverse of the distance between Greenland and a given station.
The stations contributing to this reconstruction are: Drake Field (97%, 1.8 kilometers, north); Fort Smith Municipal Airport (1.3%, 76 kilometers, south); Sallisaw Municipal Airport (1.2%, 84 kilometers, southwest); and Russellville Municipal Airport (0.7%, 128 kilometers, southeast).
Time zones for aiports and weather stations are provided by AskGeo.com .