Average Weather in December in Parkwood Washington, United States
Daily high temperatures decrease by 2°F, from 47°F to 45°F, rarely falling below 37°F or exceeding 53°F. The lowest daily average high temperature is 45°F on December 23.
Daily low temperatures are around 37°F, rarely falling below 28°F or exceeding 46°F. The lowest daily average low temperature is 37°F on December 23.
For reference, on August 3, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Parkwood typically range from 56°F to 78°F, while on December 23, the coldest day of the year, they range from 37°F to 45°F.
Average High and Low Temperature in December
The figure below shows you a compact characterization of the hourly average temperatures for the quarter of the year centered on December. The horizontal axis is the day, the vertical axis is the hour of the day, and the color is the average temperature for that hour and day.
Average Hourly Temperature in December
The month of December in Parkwood experiences essentially constant cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy remaining about 71% throughout the month.
The clearest day of the month is December 20, with clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy conditions 29% of the time.
For reference, on January 19, the cloudiest day of the year, the chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 72%, while on August 3, the clearest day of the year, the chance of clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy skies is 75%.
Cloud Cover Categories in December
0% clear 20% mostly clear 40% partly cloudy 60% mostly cloudy 80% overcast 100%
A wet day is one with at least 0.04 inches of liquid or liquid-equivalent precipitation. In Parkwood, the chance of a wet day over the course of December is decreasing, starting the month at 53% and ending it at 49%.
For reference, the year's highest daily chance of a wet day is 56% on November 18, and its lowest chance is 7% on August 4.
Over the course of December in Parkwood, the chance of a day with only rain decreases from 52% to 46%, the chance of a day with mixed snow and rain remains an essentially constant 2% throughout, and the chance of a day with only snow remains an essentially constant 1% throughout.
Probability of Precipitation in December
The average sliding 31-day rainfall during December in Parkwood is rapidly decreasing, starting the month at 7.5 inches, when it rarely exceeds 11.6 inches or falls below 2.9 inches, and ending the month at 6.1 inches, when it rarely exceeds 9.6 inches or falls below 3.0 inches.
Average Monthly Rainfall in December
We report snowfall in liquid-equivalent terms. The actual depth of new snowfall is typically between 5 and 10 times the liquid-equivalent amount, assuming the ground is frozen. As with rainfall, we consider the liquid-equivalent snowfall accumulated over a sliding 31-day period centered around each day.
The average sliding 31-day liquid-equivalent snowfall during December in Parkwood is essentially constant, remaining about 0.1 inches throughout, and rarely exceeding 0.6 inches or falling below -0.0 inches.
The highest average 31-day liquid-equivalent accumulation is 0.2 inches on December 30.
Average Monthly Liquid-Equivalent Snowfall in December
Over the course of December in Parkwood, the length of the day is essentially constant. The shortest day of the month is December 21, with 8 hours, 26 minutes of daylight and the longest day is December 1, with 8 hours, 44 minutes of daylight.
Hours of Daylight and Twilight in December
The earliest sunrise of the month in Parkwood is 7:37 AM on December 1 and the latest sunrise is 21 minutes later at 7:58 AM on December 31.
The earliest sunset is 4:19 PM on December 11 and the latest sunset is 10 minutes later at 4:28 PM on December 31.
Daylight saving time is observed in Parkwood during 2018, but it neither starts nor ends during December, so the entire month is in standard time.
For reference, on June 21, the longest day of the year, the Sun rises at 5:12 AM and sets 15 hours, 59 minutes later, at 9:11 PM, while on December 21, the shortest day of the year, it rises at 7:55 AM and sets 8 hours, 26 minutes later, at 4:21 PM.
Sunrise & Sunset with Twilight and Daylight Saving Time in December
The chance that a given day will be muggy in Parkwood is essentially constant during December, remaining around 0% throughout.
Humidity Comfort Levels in December
dry 55°F comfortable 60°F humid 65°F muggy 70°F oppressive 75°F miserable
The average hourly wind speed in Parkwood is essentially constant during December, remaining within 0.2 miles per hour of 5.1 miles per hour throughout.
For reference, on November 30, the windiest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 5.3 miles per hour, while on August 2, the calmest day of the year, the daily average wind speed is 3.0 miles per hour.
The highest daily average wind speed during December is 5.3 miles per hour on December 1.
Average Wind Speed in December
Wind Direction in December
Parkwood is located near a large body of water (e.g., ocean, sea, or large lake). This section reports on the wide-area average surface temperature of that water.
The average surface water temperature in Parkwood is gradually decreasing during December, falling by 2°F, from 49°F to 47°F, over the course of the month.
Average Water Temperature in December
The growing season in Parkwood typically lasts for 8.3 months (256 days), from around March 11 to around November 21, rarely starting before February 5 or after April 11, and rarely ending before October 30 or after December 18.
The month of December in Parkwood is more likely than not fully outside of the growing season, with the chance that a given day is in the growing season rapidly decreasing from 31% to 2% over the course of the month.
Time Spent in Various Temperature Bands and the Growing Season in December
The average accumulated growing degree days in Parkwood are essentially constant during December, remaining within 3°F of 1,932°F throughout.
Growing Degree Days in December
The average daily incident shortwave solar energy in Parkwood is essentially constant during December, remaining within 0.1 kWh of 1.0 kWh throughout.
The lowest average daily incident shortwave solar energy during December is 0.9 kWh on December 26.
Average Daily Incident Shortwave Solar Energy in December
For the purposes of this report, the geographical coordinates of Parkwood are 47.533 deg latitude, -122.610 deg longitude, and 203 ft elevation.
The topography within 2 miles of Parkwood contains only modest variations in elevation, with a maximum elevation change of 400 feet and an average elevation above sea level of 207 feet. Within 10 miles contains only modest variations in elevation (1,726 feet). Within 50 miles contains very significant variations in elevation (7,720 feet).
The area within 2 miles of Parkwood is covered by artificial surfaces (51%), trees (20%), water (15%), and herbaceous vegetation (14%), within 10 miles by trees (47%) and water (27%), and within 50 miles by trees (53%) and artificial surfaces (15%).
This report illustrates the typical weather in Parkwood year round, based on a statistical analysis of historical hourly weather reports and model reconstructions from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 2016.
Temperature and Dew Point
There are 4 weather stations near enough to contribute to our estimation of the temperature and dew point in Parkwood.
For each station, the records are corrected for the elevation difference between that station and Parkwood according to the International Standard Atmosphere , and by the relative change present in the MERRA-2 satellite-era reanalysis between the two locations.
The estimated value at Parkwood is computed as the weighted average of the individual contributions from each station, with weights proportional to the inverse of the distance between Parkwood and a given station.
The stations contributing to this reconstruction are: Bremerton National Airport (43%, 13 kilometers, southwest); King County International Airport (21%, 23 kilometers, east); Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (20%, 24 kilometers, southeast); and Tacoma Narrows Airport (15%, 30 kilometers, south).
Time zones for aiports and weather stations are provided by AskGeo.com .