This report describes the typical weather at the Wellington International Airport (Wellington, New Zealand) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 1990 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.
Wellington has a mild humid temperate climate with warm summers and no dry season. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by oceans and seas (67%), grasslands (26%), and built-up areas (3%).
Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 45Â°F to 69Â°F and is rarely below 38Â°F or above 75Â°F.
The warm season lasts from December 16 to March 19 with an average daily high temperature above 66Â°F. The hottest day of the year is January 28, with an average high of 69Â°F and low of 58Â°F.
The cold season lasts from June 2 to September 7 with an average daily high temperature below 57Â°F. The coldest day of the year is July 11, with an average low of 45Â°F and high of 54Â°F.
The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is June 20 with 9:11 hours of daylight; the longest day is December 21 with 15:10 hours of daylight.
The earliest sunrise is at 5:41am on December 10 and the latest sunset is at 8:58pm on January 6. The latest sunrise is at 7:48am on June 27 and the earliest sunset is at 4:57pm on June 15.
Daylight savings time (DST) is observed in this location during 2012, starting in the spring on September 30 and ending in the fall on April 1.
The median cloud cover ranges from 56% (partly cloudy) to 71% (partly cloudy). The sky is cloudiest on November 26 and clearest on March 18. The clearer part of the year begins around January 25. The cloudier part of the year begins around May 13.
On March 18, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 52% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 33% of the time.
On November 26, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 62% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 23% of the time.
The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around June 23, occurring in 58% of days. Precipitation is least likely around March 18, occurring in 40% of days.
Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are moderate rain and light rain.
Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 64% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around June 22, when it is observed during 39% of all days.
Light rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 20% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around November 17, when it is observed during 13% of all days.
During the warm season, which lasts from December 16 to March 19, there is a 43% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate rain (57% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate rain), light rain (24%), drizzle (10%), and heavy rain (5%).
During the cold season, which lasts from June 2 to September 7, there is a 55% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate rain (68% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate rain) and light rain (18%).
Either snow is exceptionally unlikely to fall at any time during the year at this location or this station does not reliably report precipitation types.
The relative humidity typically ranges from 58% (mildly humid) to 90% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 43% (comfortable) and reaching as high as 98% (very humid).
The air is driest around November 16, at which time the relative humidity drops below 65% (mildly humid) three days out of four; it is most humid around July 12, exceeding 86% (very humid) three days out of four.
Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.
Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 38Â°F (dry) to 59Â°F (comfortable) and is rarely below 32Â°F (dry) or above 65Â°F (mildy humid).
There are two periods in the year that are most comfortable: The first is between January 1 and May 25 and the second is between October 5 and December 31. The air feels neither too dry nor too muggy during these periods.
Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 3 mph to 27 mph (light breeze to strong breeze), rarely exceeding 38 mph (high wind).
The highest average wind speed of 18 mph (fresh breeze) occurs around October 10, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 27 mph (strong breeze).
The lowest average wind speed of 14 mph (moderate breeze) occurs around July 25, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 22 mph (fresh breeze).