This report describes the typical weather at the Nashville International Airport (Nashville, Tennessee, United States) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 1974 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.
Nashville, Tennessee has a warm humid temperate climate with hot summers and no dry season. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by forests (84%), built-up areas (8%), croplands (4%), and lakes and rivers (3%).
Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 29Â°F to 89Â°F and is rarely below 14Â°F or above 96Â°F.
The warm season lasts from May 25 to September 19 with an average daily high temperature above 81Â°F. The hottest day of the year is July 17, with an average high of 89Â°F and low of 71Â°F.
The cold season lasts from November 30 to February 23 with an average daily high temperature below 54Â°F. The coldest day of the year is January 18, with an average low of 29Â°F and high of 46Â°F.
The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is December 21 with 9:42 hours of daylight; the longest day is June 20 with 14:38 hours of daylight.
The earliest sunrise is at 5:29am on June 9 and the latest sunset is at 8:08pm on June 25. The latest sunrise is at 7:12am on November 3 and the earliest sunset is at 4:32pm on December 5.
Daylight savings time (DST) is observed in this location during 2012, starting in the spring on March 11 and ending in the fall on November 4.
The median cloud cover ranges from 43% (partly cloudy) to 87% (mostly cloudy). The sky is cloudiest on January 21 and clearest on September 7. The clearer part of the year begins around April 17. The cloudier part of the year begins around November 15.
On September 7, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 67% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 33% of the time.
On January 21, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 71% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 29% of the time.
The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around January 18, occurring in 50% of days. Precipitation is least likely around October 4, occurring in 30% of days.
Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are light rain, thunderstorms, and moderate rain.
Light rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 31% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around December 19, when it is observed during 17% of all days.
Thunderstorms are the most severe precipitation observed during 31% of those days with precipitation. They are most likely around June 24, when it is observed during 26% of all days.
Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 18% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around December 12, when it is observed during 10% of all days.
During the warm season, which lasts from May 25 to September 19, there is a 38% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (58% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (23%), and moderate rain (14%).
During the cold season, which lasts from November 30 to February 23, there is a 48% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light rain (32% of days with precipitation have at worst light rain), light snow (20%), moderate rain (18%), and thunderstorms (8%).
The likelihood of snow falling is highest around January 18, occurring in 19% of days. The season in which it is relatively likely for snow to fall spans from November 25 to March 17.
Either snow rarely accumulates at this location or snow depth measurements are unavailable or unreliable.
The relative humidity typically ranges from 39% (comfortable) to 92% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 23% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).
The air is driest around April 10, at which time the relative humidity drops below 48% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around September 18, exceeding 88% (very humid) three days out of four.
Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.
Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 21Â°F (dry) to 72Â°F (very muggy) and is rarely below 4Â°F (dry) or above 76Â°F (very muggy).
There are two periods in the year that are most comfortable: The first is between April 12 and June 1 and the second is between September 14 and October 29. The air feels neither too dry nor too muggy during these periods.
Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 0 mph to 16 mph (calm to moderate breeze), rarely exceeding 23 mph (fresh breeze).
The highest average wind speed of 9 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around March 2, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 16 mph (moderate breeze).
The lowest average wind speed of 6 mph (light breeze) occurs around August 17, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 12 mph (gentle breeze).