This report describes the typical weather at the Double Eagle II Airport (Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 2014 to 2017. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.
Albuquerque, New Mexico has a cold desert climate. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by shrublands (84%), forests (7%), built-up areas (5%), and grasslands (4%).
Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 20Â°F to 77Â°F and is rarely below 15Â°F or above 82Â°F.
The warm season lasts from May 30 to September 13 with an average daily high temperature above 69Â°F. The hottest day of the year is July 1, with an average high of 77Â°F and low of 61Â°F.
The cold season lasts from December 7 to February 17 with an average daily high temperature below 42Â°F. The coldest day of the year is January 5, with an average low of 20Â°F and high of 34Â°F.
The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is December 21 with 9:48 hours of daylight; the longest day is June 21 with 14:32 hours of daylight.
The earliest sunrise is at 5:52am on June 9 and the latest sunset is at 8:26pm on July 2. The latest sunrise is at 7:31am on November 4 and the earliest sunset is at 4:55pm on December 8.
Daylight saving time (DST) is observed in this location during 2017, starting in the spring on March 12 and ending in the fall on November 5.
The median cloud cover ranges from 28% (mostly clear) to 52% (partly cloudy). The sky is cloudiest on July 30 and clearest on February 10. The clearer part of the year begins around September 13. The cloudier part of the year begins around April 19.
On February 10, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 72% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 28% of the time.
On July 30, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 65% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 35% of the time.
The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around July 28, occurring in 39% of days. Precipitation is least likely around March 7, occurring in 8% of days.
Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are thunderstorms, light rain, and moderate rain.
Thunderstorms are the most severe precipitation observed during 45% of those days with precipitation. They are most likely around July 28, when it is observed during 30% of all days.
Light rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 17% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around August 18, when it is observed during 6% of all days.
Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 16% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around May 14, when it is observed during 6% of all days.
During the warm season, which lasts from May 30 to September 13, there is a 30% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (70% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (15%), and moderate rain (13%).
During the cold season, which lasts from December 7 to February 17, there is a 17% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate snow (35% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate snow), light snow (31%), moderate rain (13%), and heavy snow (9%).
The likelihood of snow falling is highest around January 6, occurring in 16% of days. The season in which it is relatively likely for snow to fall spans from November 22 to March 3.
Either snow rarely accumulates at this location or snow depth measurements are unavailable or unreliable.
The relative humidity typically ranges from 23% (dry) to 86% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 14% (very dry), or exceeding 94% (very humid).
The air is driest around April 1, at which time the relative humidity drops below 27% (dry) three days out of four; it is most humid around December 22, exceeding 82% (humid) three days out of four.
Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.
Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 12Â°F (dry) to 57Â°F (comfortable) and is rarely below 5Â°F (dry) or above 60Â°F (comfortable).
The time of the year between June 29 and September 19 is the most comfortable, with dew points that are neither too dry nor too muggy.
Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 0 mph to 22 mph (calm to fresh breeze), rarely exceeding 28 mph (strong breeze).
The highest average wind speed of 10 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around March 31, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 21 mph (fresh breeze).
The lowest average wind speed of 6 mph (light breeze) occurs around October 19, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 13 mph (moderate breeze).