This report describes the typical weather at the El Nhouza Airport (Alexandria, Egypt) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 1983 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.
Alexandria has a hot desert climate. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by oceans and seas (52%), croplands (30%), forests (7%), floodplains (4%), and grasslands (3%).
Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 49Â°F to 87Â°F and is rarely below 44Â°F or above 90Â°F.
The warm season lasts from June 6 to October 10 with an average daily high temperature above 82Â°F. The hottest day of the year is August 5, with an average high of 87Â°F and low of 75Â°F.
The cold season lasts from December 10 to March 21 with an average daily high temperature below 69Â°F. The coldest day of the year is February 2, with an average low of 49Â°F and high of 64Â°F.
The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is December 21 with 10:08 hours of daylight; the longest day is June 20 with 14:11 hours of daylight.
The earliest sunrise is at 4:55am on June 11 and the latest sunset is at 7:09pm on June 30. The latest sunrise is at 7:00am on January 12 and the earliest sunset is at 4:57pm on November 30.
Daylight savings time (DST) is not observed in 2012.
The median cloud cover ranges from 17% (mostly clear) to 47% (partly cloudy). The sky is cloudiest on January 8 and clearest on June 20. The clearer part of the year begins around April 14. The cloudier part of the year begins around October 12.
On June 20, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 82% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 1% of the time.
On January 8, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 54% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 36% of the time.
The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around January 15, occurring in 31% of days. Precipitation is least likely around July 20, occurring in 0% of days.
Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are moderate rain and thunderstorms.
Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 73% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around January 16, when it is observed during 24% of all days.
Thunderstorms are the most severe precipitation observed during 17% of those days with precipitation. They are most likely around December 20, when it is observed during 5% of all days.
During the warm season, which lasts from June 6 to October 10, there is a 1% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate rain (59% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate rain), thunderstorms (20%), drizzle (15%), and light rain (6%).
During the cold season, which lasts from December 10 to March 21, there is a 25% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate rain (75% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate rain), thunderstorms (15%), and light rain (7%).
Either snow is exceptionally unlikely to fall at any time during the year at this location or this station does not reliably report precipitation types.
The relative humidity typically ranges from 45% (comfortable) to 92% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 28% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).
The air is driest around April 14, at which time the relative humidity drops below 53% (mildly humid) three days out of four; it is most humid around January 2, exceeding 88% (very humid) three days out of four.
Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.
Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 41Â°F (dry) to 73Â°F (very muggy) and is rarely below 35Â°F (dry) or above 75Â°F (very muggy).
There are two periods in the year that are most comfortable: The first is between January 1 and June 1 and the second is between October 15 and December 31. The air feels neither too dry nor too muggy during these periods.
Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 1 mph to 16 mph (light air to moderate breeze), rarely exceeding 25 mph (strong breeze).
The highest average wind speed of 10 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around July 14, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 15 mph (moderate breeze).
The lowest average wind speed of 7 mph (light breeze) occurs around November 22, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 13 mph (moderate breeze).