This report describes the typical weather at the Kaunas International Airport (Kaunas, Lithuania) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 2006 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.
Kaunas has a humid continental climate with warm summers and no dry season. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by croplands (93%) and grasslands (3%).
Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 17Â°F to 77Â°F and is rarely below -0Â°F or above 84Â°F.
The warm season lasts from May 23 to September 4 with an average daily high temperature above 67Â°F. The hottest day of the year is July 18, with an average high of 77Â°F and low of 59Â°F.
The cold season lasts from December 5 to March 4 with an average daily high temperature below 37Â°F. The coldest day of the year is February 2, with an average low of 17Â°F and high of 27Â°F.
The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is December 21 with 7:10 hours of daylight; the longest day is June 20 with 17:21 hours of daylight.
The earliest sunrise is at 4:44am on June 15 and the latest sunset is at 10:08pm on June 26. The latest sunrise is at 8:49am on December 28 and the earliest sunset is at 3:56pm on December 14.
Daylight savings time (DST) is observed in this location during 2012, starting in the spring on March 25 and ending in the fall on October 28.
The median cloud cover ranges from 89% (mostly cloudy) to 100% (overcast). The sky is cloudiest on December 6 and clearest on May 14. The clearer part of the year begins around March 28. The cloudier part of the year begins around October 11.
On May 14, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 9% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 37% of the time.
On December 6, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 83% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 2% of the time.
The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around December 9, occurring in 75% of days. Precipitation is least likely around April 6, occurring in 43% of days.
Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are light rain, moderate rain, moderate snow, and thunderstorms.
Light rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 36% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around September 28, when it is observed during 31% of all days.
Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 18% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around September 18, when it is observed during 15% of all days.
Moderate snow is the most severe precipitation observed during 15% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around January 21, when it is observed during 25% of all days.
Thunderstorms are the most severe precipitation observed during 15% of those days with precipitation. They are most likely around July 23, when it is observed during 28% of all days.
During the warm season, which lasts from May 23 to September 4, there is a 56% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (39% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (37%), and moderate rain (20%).
During the cold season, which lasts from December 5 to March 4, there is a 67% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate snow (33% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate snow), light snow (26%), light rain (20%), and moderate rain (11%).
The likelihood of snow falling is highest around January 21, occurring in 51% of days. The season in which it is relatively likely for snow to fall spans from November 15 to March 27.
Either snow rarely accumulates at this location or snow depth measurements are unavailable or unreliable.
The relative humidity typically ranges from 37% (comfortable) to 99% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 23% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).
The air is driest around April 24, at which time the relative humidity drops below 44% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around November 15, exceeding 99% (very humid) three days out of four.
Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.
Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 13Â°F (dry) to 63Â°F (mildy humid) and is rarely below -4Â°F (dry) or above 69Â°F (muggy).
The time of the year between May 13 and October 3 is the most comfortable, with dew points that are neither too dry nor too muggy.
Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 1 mph to 14 mph (light air to moderate breeze), rarely exceeding 53 mph (strong gale).
The highest average wind speed of 11 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around November 19, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 13 mph (moderate breeze).
The lowest average wind speed of 6 mph (light breeze) occurs around July 10, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 11 mph (gentle breeze).