Average Weather For Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mexico

Location

This report describes the typical weather at the Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo International Airport (Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mexico) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 1981 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.

Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo has a tropical savanna climate with dry winters. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by oceans and seas (47%), forests (37%), croplands (14%), and grasslands (3%).

Temperature

Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 67°F to 90°F and is rarely below 62°F or above 92°F.

Daily High and Low Temperature

The daily average low (blue) and high (red) temperature with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).

The warm season lasts from June 30 to September 2 with an average daily high temperature above 89°F. The hottest day of the year is July 28, with an average high of 90°F and low of 76°F.

The cold season lasts from January 12 to May 1 with an average daily high temperature below 86°F. The coldest day of the year is March 14, with an average low of 67°F and high of 85°F.

Fraction of Time Spent in Various Temperature Bands

The average fraction of time spent in various temperature bands: frigid (below 15°F), freezing (15°F to 32°F), cold (32°F to 50°F), cool (50°F to 65°F), comfortable (65°F to 75°F), warm (75°F to 85°F), hot (85°F to 100°F) and sweltering (above 100°F).

Sun

The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is December 21 with 11:04 hours of daylight; the longest day is June 20 with 13:10 hours of daylight.

Daily Hours of Daylight and Twilight

The number of hours during which the Sun is visible (black line), with various degrees of daylight, twilight, and night, indicated by the color bands. From bottom (most yellow) to top (most gray): full daylight, solar twilight (Sun is visible but less than 6° from the horizon), civil twilight (Sun is not visible but is less than 6° below the horizon), nautical twilight (Sun is between 6° and 12° below the horizon), astronomical twilight (Sun is between 12° and 18° below the horizon), and full night.

The earliest sunrise is at 6:41am on March 31 and the latest sunset is at 8:25pm on July 10. The latest sunrise is at 7:43am on October 27 and the earliest sunset is at 6:09pm on November 23.

Daylight saving time (DST) is observed in this location during 2012, starting in the spring on April 1 and ending in the fall on October 28.

Daily Sunrise & Sunset with Twilight and Daylight Saving Time

The solar day over the course of the year 2012 . From bottom to top, the black lines are the previous solar midnight, sunrise, solar noon, sunset, and the next solar midnight. The day, twilights (solar, civil, nautical, and astronomical), and night are indicated by the color bands from yellow to gray. The transitions to and from daylight saving time are indicated by the "DST" labels.

Clouds

The median cloud cover ranges from 11% (mostly clear) to 78% (partly cloudy). The sky is cloudiest on August 13 and clearest on March 11. The clearer part of the year begins around November 1. The cloudier part of the year begins around May 11.

Median Cloud Cover

The median daily cloud cover (black line) with percentile bands (inner band from 40th to 60th percentile, outer band from 25th to 75th percentile).

On March 11, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 47% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 10% of the time.

On August 13, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 48% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 5% of the time.

Cloud Cover Types

The fraction of time spent in each of the five sky cover categories. From top (most blue) to bottom (most gray), the categories are clear, mostly clear, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, and overcast. Pink indicates missing data. Outside of the United States clear skies are often reported ambiguously, leading them to be lumped in with the missing data.

Precipitation

The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around September 8, occurring in 42% of days. Precipitation is least likely around April 10, occurring in 0% of days.

Probability of Precipitation at Some Point in the Day

The fraction of days in which various types of precipitation are observed. If more than one type of precipitation is reported in a given day, the more severe precipitation is counted. For example, if light rain is observed in the same day as a thunderstorm, that day counts towards the thunderstorm totals. The order of severity is from the top down in this graph, with the most severe at the bottom.

Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are moderate rain, thunderstorms, drizzle, and light rain.

Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 41% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around September 9, when it is observed during 19% of all days.

Thunderstorms are the most severe precipitation observed during 21% of those days with precipitation. They are most likely around August 6, when it is observed during 10% of all days.

Drizzle is the most severe precipitation observed during 17% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around August 14, when it is observed during 6% of all days.

Light rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 16% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around August 15, when it is observed during 8% of all days.

Types of Precipitation Throughout the Year

Relative frequency of various types of precipitation over the course of a typical year.

During the warm season, which lasts from June 30 to September 2, there is a 37% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate rain (39% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate rain), thunderstorms (24%), light rain (18%), and drizzle (16%).

During the cold season, which lasts from January 12 to May 1, there is a 2% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of drizzle (50% of days with precipitation have at worst drizzle), moderate rain (26%), light rain (12%), and thunderstorms (8%).

Warm Season Precipitation

Cold Season Precipitation

Relative frequency of various types of precipitation during the warm and cold seasons respectively.

Snow

Either snow is exceptionally unlikely to fall at any time during the year at this location or this station does not reliably report precipitation types.

Humidity

The relative humidity typically ranges from 58% (mildly humid) to 94% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 48% (comfortable) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

The air is driest around January 27, at which time the relative humidity drops below 64% (mildly humid) three days out of four; it is most humid around September 24, exceeding 89% (very humid) three days out of four.

Relative Humidity

The average daily high (blue) and low (brown) relative humidity with percentile bands (inner bands from 25th to 75th percentile, outer bands from 10th to 90th percentile).

Dew Point

Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.

Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 61°F (comfortable) to 77°F (oppressive) and is rarely below 56°F (comfortable) or above 79°F (oppressive).

Dew Point

The daily average low (blue) and high (red) dew point with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).

Wind

Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 0 mph to 14 mph (calm to moderate breeze), rarely exceeding 21 mph (fresh breeze).

The highest average wind speed of 7 mph (light breeze) occurs around May 27, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 14 mph (moderate breeze).

The lowest average wind speed of 3 mph (light air) occurs around December 9, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 11 mph (gentle breeze).

Wind Speed

The average daily minimum (red), maximum (green), and average (black) wind speed with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).
The wind is most often out of the south west (14% of the time) and west (12% of the time). The wind is least often out of the north (0% of the time), north west (0% of the time), north east (0% of the time), east (1% of the time), south east (1% of the time), and south (2% of the time).

Wind Directions Over the Entire Year

The fraction of time spent with the wind blowing from the various directions over the entire year. Values do not sum to 100% because the wind direction is undefined when the wind speed is zero.

Fraction of Time Spent with Various Wind Directions

The fraction of time spent with the wind blowing from the various directions on a daily basis. Stacked values do not always sum to 100% because the wind direction is undefined when the wind speed is zero.