Average Weather For Rome, Italy

Location

This report describes the typical weather at the Rome Urbe Airport (Rome, Italy) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 1998 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.

Rome has a mediterranean climate with dry hot summers and mild winters. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by shrublands (47%), croplands (22%), forests (18%), and oceans and seas (10%).

Temperature

Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 36°F to 89°F and is rarely below 28°F or above 95°F.

Daily High and Low Temperature

The daily average low (blue) and high (red) temperature with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).

The warm season lasts from June 12 to September 10 with an average daily high temperature above 82°F. The hottest day of the year is July 25, with an average high of 89°F and low of 67°F.

The cold season lasts from November 19 to March 9 with an average daily high temperature below 61°F. The coldest day of the year is February 5, with an average low of 36°F and high of 55°F.

Fraction of Time Spent in Various Temperature Bands

The average fraction of time spent in various temperature bands: frigid (below 15°F), freezing (15°F to 32°F), cold (32°F to 50°F), cool (50°F to 65°F), comfortable (65°F to 75°F), warm (75°F to 85°F), hot (85°F to 100°F) and sweltering (above 100°F).

Sun

The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is December 21 with 9:07 hours of daylight; the longest day is June 20 with 15:14 hours of daylight.

Daily Hours of Daylight and Twilight

The number of hours during which the Sun is visible (black line), with various degrees of daylight, twilight, and night, indicated by the color bands. From bottom (most yellow) to top (most gray): full daylight, solar twilight (Sun is visible but less than 6° from the horizon), civil twilight (Sun is not visible but is less than 6° below the horizon), nautical twilight (Sun is between 6° and 12° below the horizon), astronomical twilight (Sun is between 12° and 18° below the horizon), and full night.

The earliest sunrise is at 5:33am on June 15 and the latest sunset is at 8:50pm on June 26. The latest sunrise is at 7:39am on January 3 and the earliest sunset is at 4:38pm on December 9.

Daylight saving time (DST) is observed in this location during 2012, starting in the spring on March 25 and ending in the fall on October 28.

Daily Sunrise & Sunset with Twilight and Daylight Saving Time

The solar day over the course of the year 2012 . From bottom to top, the black lines are the previous solar midnight, sunrise, solar noon, sunset, and the next solar midnight. The day, twilights (solar, civil, nautical, and astronomical), and night are indicated by the color bands from yellow to gray. The transitions to and from daylight saving time are indicated by the "DST" labels.

Clouds

The median cloud cover ranges from 32% (mostly clear) to 66% (partly cloudy). The sky is cloudiest on January 4 and clearest on July 18. The clearer part of the year begins around May 25. The cloudier part of the year begins around September 28.

Median Cloud Cover

The median daily cloud cover (black line) with percentile bands (inner band from 40th to 60th percentile, outer band from 25th to 75th percentile).

On July 18, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 32% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 5% of the time.

On January 4, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 25% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 7% of the time.

Cloud Cover Types

The fraction of time spent in each of the five sky cover categories. From top (most blue) to bottom (most gray), the categories are clear, mostly clear, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, and overcast. Pink indicates missing data. Outside of the United States clear skies are often reported ambiguously, leading them to be lumped in with the missing data.

Precipitation

The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around December 6, occurring in 35% of days. Precipitation is least likely around July 19, occurring in 11% of days.

Probability of Precipitation at Some Point in the Day

The fraction of days in which various types of precipitation are observed. If more than one type of precipitation is reported in a given day, the more severe precipitation is counted. For example, if light rain is observed in the same day as a thunderstorm, that day counts towards the thunderstorm totals. The order of severity is from the top down in this graph, with the most severe at the bottom.

Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are light rain, thunderstorms, and moderate rain.

Light rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 34% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around February 15, when it is observed during 14% of all days.

Thunderstorms are the most severe precipitation observed during 31% of those days with precipitation. They are most likely around May 10, when it is observed during 13% of all days.

Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 28% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around December 6, when it is observed during 13% of all days.

Types of Precipitation Throughout the Year

Relative frequency of various types of precipitation over the course of a typical year.

During the warm season, which lasts from June 12 to September 10, there is a 15% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (57% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (28%), and moderate rain (11%).

During the cold season, which lasts from November 19 to March 9, there is a 32% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light rain (39% of days with precipitation have at worst light rain), moderate rain (36%), thunderstorms (17%), and drizzle (6%).

Warm Season Precipitation

Cold Season Precipitation

Relative frequency of various types of precipitation during the warm and cold seasons respectively.

Snow

Either snow is exceptionally unlikely to fall at any time during the year at this location or this station does not reliably report precipitation types.

Humidity

The relative humidity typically ranges from 38% (comfortable) to 93% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 31% (comfortable) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

The air is driest around July 25, at which time the relative humidity drops below 42% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around April 26, exceeding 90% (very humid) three days out of four.

Relative Humidity

The average daily high (blue) and low (brown) relative humidity with percentile bands (inner bands from 25th to 75th percentile, outer bands from 10th to 90th percentile).

Dew Point

Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.

Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 29°F (dry) to 69°F (muggy) and is rarely below 20°F (dry) or above 74°F (very muggy).

There are two periods in the year that are most comfortable: The first is between April 6 and June 23 and the second is between September 9 and November 18. The air feels neither too dry nor too muggy during these periods.

Dew Point

The daily average low (blue) and high (red) dew point with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).

Wind

Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 0 mph to 12 mph (calm to gentle breeze), rarely exceeding 18 mph (fresh breeze).

The highest average wind speed of 5 mph (light breeze) occurs around March 3, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 10 mph (gentle breeze).

The lowest average wind speed of 3 mph (light air) occurs around January 12, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 6 mph (light breeze).

Wind Speed

The average daily minimum (red), maximum (green), and average (black) wind speed with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).
The wind direction is highly variable and is not predominantly from any single direction.The wind is least often out of the north east (1% of the time), east (2% of the time), south east (2% of the time), north west (2% of the time), and west (4% of the time).

Wind Directions Over the Entire Year

The fraction of time spent with the wind blowing from the various directions over the entire year. Values do not sum to 100% because the wind direction is undefined when the wind speed is zero.

Fraction of Time Spent with Various Wind Directions

The fraction of time spent with the wind blowing from the various directions on a daily basis. Stacked values do not always sum to 100% because the wind direction is undefined when the wind speed is zero.