Average Weather For Alcantarilla/Murcia /Militar, Spain

Location

This report describes the typical weather at the Alcantarilla Base Aérea (Alcantarilla/Murcia /Militar, Spain) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 2002 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.

Alcantarilla/Murcia /Militar has a cold semi-arid steppe climate. The area within 25 mi of this station is covered by croplands (67%) and shrublands (33%).

Temperature

Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 40°F to 95°F and is rarely below 32°F or above 101°F.

Daily High and Low Temperature

The daily average low (blue) and high (red) temperature with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).

The warm season lasts from June 12 to September 9 with an average daily high temperature above 88°F. The hottest day of the year is August 2, with an average high of 95°F and low of 72°F.

The cold season lasts from November 17 to March 13 with an average daily high temperature below 68°F. The coldest day of the year is January 12, with an average low of 40°F and high of 62°F.

Fraction of Time Spent in Various Temperature Bands

The average fraction of time spent in various temperature bands: frigid (below 15°F), freezing (15°F to 32°F), cold (32°F to 50°F), cool (50°F to 65°F), comfortable (65°F to 75°F), warm (75°F to 85°F), hot (85°F to 100°F) and sweltering (above 100°F).

Sun

The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is December 21 with 9:31 hours of daylight; the longest day is June 20 with 14:49 hours of daylight.

Daily Hours of Daylight and Twilight

The number of hours during which the Sun is visible (black line), with various degrees of daylight, twilight, and night, indicated by the color bands. From bottom (most yellow) to top (most gray): full daylight, solar twilight (Sun is visible but less than 6° from the horizon), civil twilight (Sun is not visible but is less than 6° below the horizon), nautical twilight (Sun is between 6° and 12° below the horizon), astronomical twilight (Sun is between 12° and 18° below the horizon), and full night.

The earliest sunrise is at 6:42am on June 11 and the latest sunset is at 9:32pm on June 30. The latest sunrise is at 8:25am on October 27 and the earliest sunset is at 5:45pm on December 7.

Daylight savings time (DST) is observed in this location during 2012, starting in the spring on March 25 and ending in the fall on October 28.

Daily Sunrise & Sunset with Twilight and Daylight Savings Time

The solar day over the course of the year 2012 . From bottom to top, the black lines are the previous solar midnight, sunrise, solar noon, sunset, and the next solar midnight. The day, twilights (solar, civil, nautical, and astronomical), and night are indicated by the color bands from yellow to gray. The transitions to and from daylight savings time are indicated by the "DST" labels.

Clouds

The median cloud cover ranges from 27% (mostly clear) to 55% (partly cloudy). The sky is cloudiest on April 11 and clearest on July 16. The clearer part of the year begins around May 19. The cloudier part of the year begins around September 21.

Median Cloud Cover

The median daily cloud cover (black line) with percentile bands (inner band from 40th to 60th percentile, outer band from 25th to 75th percentile).

On July 16, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 28% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 3% of the time.

On April 11, the cloudiest day of the year, the sky is overcast, mostly cloudy, or partly cloudy 23% of the time, and clear or mostly clear 13% of the time.

Cloud Cover Types

The fraction of time spent in each of the five sky cover categories. From top (most blue) to bottom (most gray), the categories are clear, mostly clear, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, and overcast. Pink indicates missing data. Outside of the United States clear skies are often reported ambiguously, leading them to be lumped in with the missing data.

Precipitation

The probability that precipitation will be observed at this location varies throughout the year. Precipitation is most likely around November 8, occurring in 22% of days. Precipitation is least likely around July 17, occurring in 3% of days.

Probability of Precipitation at Some Point in the Day

The fraction of days in which various types of precipitation are observed. If more than one type of precipitation is reported in a given day, the more severe precipitation is counted. For example, if light rain is observed in the same day as a thunderstorm, that day counts towards the thunderstorm totals. The order of severity is from the top down in this graph, with the most severe at the bottom.

Over the entire year, the most common forms of precipitation are moderate rain, light rain, and thunderstorms.

Moderate rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 41% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around November 9, when it is observed during 11% of all days.

Light rain is the most severe precipitation observed during 30% of those days with precipitation. It is most likely around November 22, when it is observed during 8% of all days.

Thunderstorms are the most severe precipitation observed during 20% of those days with precipitation. They are most likely around September 18, when it is observed during 7% of all days.

Types of Precipitation Throughout the Year

Relative frequency of various types of precipitation over the course of a typical year.

During the warm season, which lasts from June 12 to September 9, there is a 7% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (45% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (27%), and moderate rain (23%).

During the cold season, which lasts from November 17 to March 13, there is a 17% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of moderate rain (47% of days with precipitation have at worst moderate rain), light rain (36%), and drizzle (12%).

Warm Season Precipitation

Cold Season Precipitation

Relative frequency of various types of precipitation during the warm and cold seasons respectively.

Snow

Either snow is exceptionally unlikely to fall at any time during the year at this location or this station does not reliably report precipitation types.

Humidity

The relative humidity typically ranges from 31% (comfortable) to 92% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 21% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

The air is driest around May 26, at which time the relative humidity drops below 34% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around January 7, exceeding 91% (very humid) three days out of four.

Relative Humidity

The average daily high (blue) and low (brown) relative humidity with percentile bands (inner bands from 25th to 75th percentile, outer bands from 10th to 90th percentile).

Dew Point

Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.

Over the course of a year, the dew point typically varies from 32°F (dry) to 69°F (muggy) and is rarely below 22°F (dry) or above 73°F (very muggy).

There are two periods in the year that are most comfortable: The first is between April 14 and June 27 and the second is between September 8 and November 15. The air feels neither too dry nor too muggy during these periods.

Dew Point

The daily average low (blue) and high (red) dew point with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).

Wind

Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 0 mph to 14 mph (calm to moderate breeze), rarely exceeding 19 mph (fresh breeze).

The highest average wind speed of 8 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around July 5, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 14 mph (moderate breeze).

The lowest average wind speed of 3 mph (light breeze) occurs around January 12, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 7 mph (light breeze).

Wind Speed

The average daily minimum (red), maximum (green), and average (black) wind speed with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).
The wind direction is highly variable and is not predominantly from any single direction.The wind is least often out of the south west (3% of the time), south (3% of the time), north west (4% of the time), north east (4% of the time), and north (5% of the time).

Wind Directions Over the Entire Year

The fraction of time spent with the wind blowing from the various directions over the entire year. Values do not sum to 100% because the wind direction is undefined when the wind speed is zero.

Fraction of Time Spent with Various Wind Directions

The fraction of time spent with the wind blowing from the various directions on a daily basis. Stacked values do not always sum to 100% because the wind direction is undefined when the wind speed is zero.